A car started as a luxury commodity but now it’s a necessity. Whether it is to drive to schools, colleges, offices or to get the household necessities, the car sees multiple trips in its daily life. While you cannot imagine your current life without a car, you have to take extra care towards routine and proper car service and maintenance’s. It might seem costly but these services are essential to ensure your car runs smoothly for a long time. The Car servicing or repairing or it’s tune-up could also be a series of maintenance procedures that’s administered at a group instances or right after the vehicle has travelled a precise prolong distance.
Benefits of routine Car Service
Not performing regular checkups could result in expensive repairs, reduced safety, or both. When you take your car for a professional car service, there are some basic checks that they perform, and those include:
- Headlights and fog lights
- Windscreen and wipers
- Mirrors and horn
- Jack and spark plugs
- Fluids which includes the radiator coolant, engine oil, steering fluid, differential fluid and the gearbox fluid.
While you can conduct some of the above checks on the car, taking the car for proper car service will help you understand not only the subtle difference of the engine sound and its meaning, but also help you learn that some problems are not as simple as it seems and their root lies elsewhere, quite a life lesson right? But getting back to the topic of your car,
There are 4 major benefits of opting for professional Car Service:
- Better safety – Professional car service will ensure that your car works properly. Incorrect servicing often leads to fatal incidents, like brake failure and seat-belt lock failure. These are situations that pose serious risks to the lives of your family and you. Making a comprehensive car maintenance checklist and following it can help your vehicle to run more efficiently.
- Car performance is increased – With proper and regular servicing, you ensure the fluid functioning of the car. When the fluids work better, the car runs better. Regular maintenance can also help to ensure you’re getting the most out of your vehicle’s fuel economy. A car can give you years of good service. The better you maintain your car the longer it will serve you.
- Malfunction prevention – The battery dying or the engine is making funny noises are some of the most common malfunctions drivers often complain about. With routine car service from professionals, you can rest assured that you will not be standing at the side of the road, glaring at the steaming bonnet.
- Pollution reduction – Car emission is one of the major contributors to the overall air pollution. This happens when the car is not working properly. Be it a fluid change or exhaust cleaning, the car service will ensure you do your bit for a better environment.
Some basic Car Service which you can perform at home
It is always advised to opt for professional car service especially for luxury vehicles, but there are certain checks and repairs that you can perform on your own. These are small maintenance’s that will help you avoid road emergencies.
These maintenance’s include:
- Air filter change should be done every 12000 miles or 12 years, whichever is first. You can replace the air filter on your own if the replacement falls between your routine car service days. Instead of driving to your mechanic and waiting for hours, you can address the issue in minutes. Locate the air filter by checking the user manual. It’s a black rectangular box with metal clips on the side. Keep in mind the placement of the filter, get the same make and model, and replace the old one with the new.
- Windshield wipers require replacement after every 6 months and these are the easiest part of the DIY car service. Simple lift the wipers, detach it from the metal arm and put in the new wipers like the old one was. The packaging for the new blades has a general set of instructions and a helpful diagram to help you fit the new blades.
- Battery maintenance becomes a necessity the older your car becomes. Many times, you might end up stranded on the road because your battery refuses to work. A simple -post-cleaning often addresses the issue. Open the hood of care every few months and take a look at the battery to see if it needs a simple cleaning.
With regular and professional car service your car will live for a long time allowing you to enjoy your long rides and outing with family and friends better. Balancing between a few self-maintenance and professional guidance, you will be able to care for your car better. After all, getting stranded while you are in a rush is not exactly the adventure many looks for.